1. Skillet Meatballs in Marinara Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 T. worcestershire
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t. dried basil
- 3/4 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups marinara sauce
For Marinara Sauce:
- 2 t. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 T. sherry or wine (optional)
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T. fresh basil or basil paste (I used Gourmet Garden Basil Paste)
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1/4 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 t. granulated sugar
- 3/4 t. kosher salt
Make the Marinara Sauce:
- In a large saucepan or pot over medium high heat add 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add in the diced onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Add in the tomato paste and wine mixing everything together for another minute.
- Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes and stir.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir once more.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Make the Skillet Meatballs Marinara Sauce:
- In a large bowl combine the ground turkey, egg, panko, worcestershire, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper with your hands.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the meatball mixture.
- Take one of the pieces of cubed mozzarella and stuff it into the center of the meatball, making sure to cover the cheese completely with meat.
- Repeat the process until all of the meat mixture is gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray it generously with cooking spray.
- Place the meatballs in the skillet and brown them for 2 minutes on each side.
- Pour the marinara sauce evenly into the skillet and turn the heat down to medium low.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and simmer the meatballs for 10 minutes.
- Top the meatballs with the shredded mozzarella and serve.
Marinara Sauce :
- The sherry or wine are optional, but they add great flavor.
- This sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for later use.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:02:05.