17. Meatballs In Marinara Sauce
- 300 g ground beef
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 250 ml pureed tomatoes
- 4 mushrooms
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 10 g basil
- 1 tsp rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tsp thyme (chopped)
- 2 tsp sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- rice or toasted bread to serve
- Finely dice one onion and half a garlic clove. Sauté both in a small frying pan in some vegetable oil until the onion is translucent.
- Cut basil into fine strips.
- Next, mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, sautéed onion and garlic, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Use hands to make small balls from the mixture, approx. 3 cm in diameter.
- For the sauce, dice the onion, carrot, half a garlic clove, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Sauté the cut vegetables in some vegetable oil. Add pureed tomatoes and season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Allow to reduce on a low heat for approx. 15 – 20 min.
- Meanwhile, finely chop rosemary and thyme.
- Next, add chopped herbs and meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer for approx. 10 – 15 minutes with closed lid until the meatballs are cooked. Serve with rice or toasted bread.