3. Sriracha Marinara with Meatballs
For the meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork or turkey half of each
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 3 tablespoons plain dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- cooking spray
For the sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce, or more to taste
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Combine the meat, spinach, bread crumbs, egg whites, oregano, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix well by hand in a large bowl. Roll into about 20 meatballs, arrange on a baking sheet, and spray with oil. Alternatively, you can roll them individually in a small dish of oil to coat.
- Preheat the broiler, then cook meatballs until golden brown, about 10 minutes, turning sheet once to ensure even cooking.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium until shimmering. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and sriracha and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, then add meatballs and continue simmering until they are cooked through.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente, reserving 1 cup of pasta water before draining. Drain pasta, add to sauce, and toss well to coat, adding pasta water if necessary to create a loose sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:02:05.