15. Rao’s Meatballs With Marinara Sauce
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1/2pound ground veal
- 1/2pound ground pork
- 2large eggs
- 1cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 1/2tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2small clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1pinch Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 1pinch Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2cups fresh bread crumbs
- 2cups lukewarm water
- 1cup good quality olive oil, for cooking
- Your favorite marinara sauce (we like Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter, also on Food52)
- Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add the eggs, cheese, parsley, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Using your hands, blend ingredients together. Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add water, 1 cup at a time, until the mixture is quite moist. Shape into 2 1/2 to 3-inch balls.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. When oil is very hot but not smoking, fry meatballs in batches. When the bottom half of the meatball is very brown and slightly crisp, turn and cook top half. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Lower cooked meatballs into simmering marinara sauce and cook for 15 minutes. Serve alone or with pasta.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:02:05.