5. Meatball Marinara Cups
- 350g/12.5oz of extra lean ground beef
- salt and black pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- approx 1 cup (240ml) of marinara sauce
- 8 regular slices of whole wheat bread (4xHEb’)
- 90g/3oz of mozzarella cheese (2xHEa’s)
- spray oil
- finely chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil
For Marinara Sauce:
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes (or large tomatoes) peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (6 syns) or use a spray oil to make this free
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- chopped fresh basil and Italian parsley
- salt and black pepper to season
Make the Marinara Sauce:
- Add the olive oil to a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic and saute for about 5 mins.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to saute until the tomatoes start to break down
- Add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until stock reduces down – approx 20-30 mins
- Roughly blend with a stick blender, add freshly chopped basil and parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Can be use straight away on pasta or veggies noodles or placed in a lidded jar in the fridge.
- This can also be frozen.
Make the Meatball Marinara Cups:
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Remove crusts from bread, so that each slice weighs 30g/1ozz
- Using a rolling pin, roll over each slice of bread to flatten.
- Spray both sides of bread with spray oil
- Push down into a muffin tray to form bread cups.
- Place in oven and bake for approx 20mins until lightly golden
- Add ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Form into 8 meatballs (they should be about the right size to fit in each bread cup)
- Place on a baking tray, spray over top with spray oil and place in the oven and bake for approx 10-15mins to lightly brown.
- Once bread cups are ready and meatballs lightly browned.
- Add the meatballs to bowl and cover well with marinara sauce.
- Place one meatball with sauce into each toasted bread cup and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with all 8 cups.
- Place back in the oven for approx 15 mins, until cheese is melted and golden.
- Top with a little chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil.