3. Lemon Cookie
For the Lemon Cookies Dough
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3 drops yellow food coloring *optional
- yellow decorating sugar *optional
For the Lemon Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using anelectric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Then beat in the salt, egg, vanilla, lemon curd, lemon zest and food coloring. Scrape the bowl and beat again to combine. Slowly add the flour until just combined.
- Scoop the dough into a cookie press. Press the cookies onto ungreased baking sheets (no parchment paper.) Bake for 8-10 minutes. If using decorating sugar, sprinkle it on the cookies immediately as they come out of the oven. Cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheets before moving.
- Using a clean bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon curd together for the frosting. Place it in a piping bag (or use a zip bag and snip off the corner.)
- Then flip half the cookies over and pipe a dollop of frosting on the bottoms. Top each frosting dollop with a second cookie and press gently. Store the cookies in an airtight container until ready to serve. Makes 60 cookies, 30 sandwich cookies.