17. Lemon Bars with Browned Butter Sugar Cookie Crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pouch (17.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
- 1 egg
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray.
In 1-quart saucepan, heat butter over medium heat 5 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until light golden brown. Pour into large bowl; cool 5 minutes.
Stir cookie mix and 1 egg into browned butter with spoon until soft dough forms. Press in pan. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
In medium bowl, beat 4 eggs, granulated sugar and flour with whisk until well blended. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice. Pour over partially baked crust.
Bake 17 to 21 minutes or until center is set. Bars will firm up as they cool. Cool 1 hour. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Beurre noisette is the French term for “browned butter,” referring to butter that becomes light hazelnut in color during cooking. The wonderful, unforgettable, one-of-kind flavor has no equal or substitution.
- When browning butter, be sure to watch it carefully, as butter can brown and then burn quickly.
- For the best lemon flavor, use fresh lemon juice and peel.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:02:07.