6. Fresh Lemon Royal Icing
- 1 kg powdered sugar sift if needed
- 50 grams meringue powder
- 5 grams (1tsp) cream of tartar optional
- 55 ml strained fresh lemon juice
- 110 ml tap warm water
- 10 ml (1tbl) Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp (5ml) almond extract optional
- 2 lb (7-8 cups) powdered sugar, sift the sugar if needed
- 4 1/2 tbs meringue powder
- 1/4 cup strained fresh lemon juice one lemon
- 1/4 cup +2tb; tap warm water
- 1 tsp cream of tartar optional
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract optional
Make sure all your tools are grease free!
I wipe my tools with a piece of paper towel and vinegar. Wipe dry with a clean towel.
Sift the powdered sugar if needed, if powdered sugar has big chunks make sure you sift it, otherwise I don’t sift.
Whisk meringue powder with fresh lemon juice and warm water, until slightly foamy, add cream of tartar, whisk well and then add all the powdered sugar at once. Using your stand mixer, on the lowest setting, using paddle attachment, mix for about 3-4 minutes, add vanilla extract, continue mixing for another 5 minutes. Scrape the bowl once and beat again.
When icing is done it should be stiff. Try not to overmix.
For non lemon icing, use the same measurements, instead of lemon juice use water.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:02:07.