2. Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon with Potato Cauliflower Mash
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms mixed or white or cremini
- 1/4 cup brandy or whiskey or red wine or use broth
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce ,tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for soyfree
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water or broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch mixed in 3 tbsp water (you can also add 2 tbsp of the mashed potato mixture to thicken)
- 1 cup of spinach or greens
- 1 large potato cubed small
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (heaping cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 to 4 tbsp non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp each salt garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot on Saute. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and give them a quick mix. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden on some edges. Add a tbsp of water if browning too quickly.
- Add the wine and mix well for a few seconds to cook out the alcohol.
- Add the carrots, celery, thyme and garlic and mix well. Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, 1/3 tsp salt (if using water or unsalted broth) and water/broth and give it a mix. Cancel saute. You can also add in 1 bay leaf and some rosemary for flavor variation at this point.
- Place the steamer basket on top of the mushroom mixture. Add potato and cauliflower to it.
- Close the Instant Pot lid. Pressure Cook for 9 to 10 minutes (Manual hi pressure). Add a minute if using larger quantity of either mushroom mix or potatoes, or if doubling.
- Let the pressure release naturally once the cooking is complete. Open the lid and carefully remove the steamer basket.
- Put the pot on saute, Add cornstarch slurry and give it a mix (you can also add 2 tbsp of the mashed potato mixture to thicken). Add spinach or baby kale and black pepper and mix. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken, then cancel saute. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Meanwhile. Transfer the steamed potato and cauliflower to a bowl and mash roughly. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, non dairy milk and optionally fresh/dried herbs of choice(eg. thyme, rosemary, chives) and mash well to preferred consistency.
- Serve the mash layered with the mushroom bourguignon. Garnish with some fresh thyme or basil and black or white pepper.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:01:51.