14. Superfood Instant Pot Oatmeal in a Jar
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats (Bob’s Redmill)
- 2 .5 – 3 cups almond milk or coconut milk (drinking milk) — See notes to avoid dryness.
- 1/3 cup regular or non dairy cream (see notes for substitutes)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup chopped apple
- 1 large carrot, shredded into shavings or julienne sliced
- 1/3 cup raisins or goji berries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup flaxseed or chia seed
- 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: 1/4 cup coconut sugar or maple syrup for extra sweetness
TOPPINGS and MIX-INS:
- Optional add-in: 1 serving (scoop) Protein powder desired (I used pea protein from Bob’s Redmill)
- Fresh Blueberries to top once cooked
- Extra milk/sweetener to top if desired
INSTANT POT VERSION:
- Note: If you find your instant pot burns oats easily, then add in 3 cups of the milk first. Then your oats and prepped ingredients (minus toppings) in the Instant Pot. Barely mix together.
- Place Instant pot on pressure cook for 10 minutes, then natural release. If you are using quick oats, only cook 7 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, add in optional protein, if desired.
- Spoon into 6-7 small 1 cup mason jars or 5 medium bowls.Top with blueberries. Optional honey and pinch of cinnamon/splash of milk.
STOVE TOP OPTION:
- Place milk in large sauce pan. Bring to a soft boil.
- Place all ingredients (minus toppings and sweetener) in the pot.
- Reduce to low and cover for 20 -25 minutes or until oats have absorbed milk and are thoroughly cooked. Mix in sweetener and protein if desired.
- Spoon into jars or bowls and then add toppings.
SLOW COOKER OPTION:
- Follow similar instructions to that of my slow cooker savory oatmeal.
- Place all ingredients (minus protein and toppings) in slow cooker or instant pot slow cooker option.
- Mix all together and set on high 3 hrs or low for 5. Could be more or less depending on your slow cooker.
- Stir the oats in the slow cooker half way through the cooking time. The flax seed will help bind everything together and thicken it up like steel cut oats.
- Add a 1/4 c more milk if you want to thin out the oats (to create more of a porridge) the last hour of cooking. Mix in protein last if using it.
- Spoon superfood oatmeal into jars or bowls. Add your toppings of choice (listed above).
- You can set this overnight if you have an automatic slow cooker that shifts to warm after 5 hrs.
Almond or coconut creamer work well, but you can also use canned coconut milk or cream. The taste and texture will vary. Regular cream might burn more easily, so add a 2-3 tbsp of water to even it out.