11. Barbecue Lentils (vegan, gluten-free and dairy free)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion or 1/2 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 C. organic green lentils
- 4 C. water
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1 C. organic ketchup
- 1/3 C. Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C. brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- optional: 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- In your Instant Pot, push saute, and add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until slightly soft. Push OFF the saute function and pour in the lentils and water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the timer for manual (high pressure) for 24 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, combine the barbecue sauce ingredients in a medium skillet and simmer for 8-10 minutes until thick. Add additional spices and liquid smoke if desired. Push off to the side until the lentils are complete.
- Once the pot beeps finished, allow the pressure to release naturally for up to 10 minutes, then do a quick release. Do not drain any liquid that’s left. Pour in the prepared barbecue sauce, and give it a good stir to combine. Add 1/2 tsp salt or more to taste (depending on your preference).
- Serve the barbecue lentils over toasted bread or a baked potato, or as a side to a larger meal. The lentils will thicken upon standing.