17. Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into medium-sized sticks
- 5 cups button mushrooms, cut into halves or quarters depending on their size
- 1 cup red wine (use a vegan brand)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspon dried marjoram
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons dried Italian herbs (I used thyme,basil, rosemary, and oregano)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 2 tablespoons of water
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
If using an Instant Pot: Press the “Sauté” button and add some oil. Cook the onions for about 3 minutes or until they become translucent. Then add the garlic, the mushrooms, and the carrots. Cook for 3 minutes. Then add the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Deglaze with red wine and vegetable broth. Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper. Press the “Slow Cook” function and choose 5 hours.
If you use a regular slow cooker, do the same on the stove top. Then transfer everything to the slow cooker or just use the slow cooker pot to cook everything on the stove top. In this case, add the corn starch (whisk well with 2 tablespoons of water before adding) together with the herbs. (If you use an Instant Pot you will add it later). Cook for 5 hours. Serve with fettuccine.
If you use an Instant Pot, press the “Sauté” function once the 5 hours are over. Stir in the corn starch (whisk well with 2 tablespoons of water before adding) and cook for about 3 minutes until the sauce becomes thicker. Serve with fettuccine.
**You could also make this recipe by using the Instant Pot manual function. Cook it on high pressure for 8 minutes. Allow for a natural release.**
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:01:51.