4. Instant Pot Mushroom Masala
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/2 to 1 green chile , remove seeds to reduce heat if needed
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala ( or use baharat or berbere)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) or use 1/4 tsp fenugreek seed powder or 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 1/2 cup or more peas
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/4 tsp or more sugar or maple syrup or other sweetener
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked for 15 mins if needed , use 1/3 cup for creamier sauce, blended with 1/2 cup water until smooth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne to preference
- cilantro for garnish
For the garam masala
- 1/2 cup whole coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup cumin seeds
- 6 to 8 2-inch cinnamon sticks
- 8 to 10 black cardamoms
- 2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoons cloves
- 1 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 10 to 12 Indian bay leaves
- 1 nutmeg optional
The Garam Masala :
Combine all the ingredients and store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
To grind: In a spice grinder, grind the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg first until well ground, then add the rest of the spices and grind to a powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Note: You can also roast the spices before blending. Dry roast all the ingredients except the nutmeg over low-medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Grind the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg, and then add the rest of the spices, grind and store as above.
Mushroom Matar Masala:
Blend onion, garlic, ginger, chile with a few tbsp of water to a puree in a blender.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the above puree. Cook for 5 to 7 mins or until the onion smell is not raw. Stir occasionally.
Meanwhile, blend tomatoes and cashews in the same blender until smooth. Blend for two 1 min cycles so the cashews are blended in. Add the pureed tomato puree, garam masala, paprika, and fenugreek to the skillet. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes.Stir occasionally.
Add mushrooms, peas, other veggies, 1/2 cup or more water, salt, sugar. I added a 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas as well as seen in the pictures. Mix well.
Cover and cook for 10 mins or till the mushrooms are cooked to preference.
Fold in spinach if using, taste adjust salt and heat. I usually add some cayenne.
Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice, cooked grains or with flatbread.