20. Instant Pot Rice & Beans
- 1 1/4 cup dry Red Kidney Beans
- 1 1/2 cup dry Brown Rice
- 1 cup Salsa
- ½ bunch Cilantro, stems and leaves divided
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- First, chop your Cilantro, keeping the leaves and stems roughly separated.
- Add the dried Beans and Rice to the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Gently pour the Vegetable Broth and Water over the Rice and Beans, then give everything a good stir.
- Next, add the Salsa and stems of the Cilantro into the pot. Do not mix!
- Close the Instant Pot, set the valve to Sealing, and use the Manual Mode to cook on High for 25 Minutes.
- One the cook time finishes, let the Instant Pot release pressure for an additional 10 Minutes (leave the “Keep Warm” feature on).
- Finally, move the valve from Sealing to Venting to release all remaining pressure, and serve the Beans and Rice warm. Garnish with the chopped Cilantro leaves, and anything else you desire!
- A few of my beans rose to the top of the mixture, and I noticed they looked a little “dry” when I opened the pot. If this happens to you, simply mix the Beans and Rice together, then cover the pot again and let sit for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Different beans require different amounts of time to cook in the pressure cooker, so I would be wary of substitutions. If you do decide to use a different bean, make sure to cook the mixture for at least 22 minutes, so the brown rice will cook completely.