16. Pumpkin Bisque
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups solid-pack pumpkin, canned
- 2 cups low-salt vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Pepitas, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, sugar, allspice, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer, thinning with coconut milk to the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the pepita seeds, drizzle with a teaspoon of coconut milk, and serve.
Originally posted 2019-01-03 02:48:47.