7. Lemon Chicken Romano
- 2 (8 – 9 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved through their thickness and pounded to 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Provolone cheese (or more mozzarella)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup (packed, 1.25 oz) finely shredded Romano cheese
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano, plus 1 more tsp for garnish
- 2 tsp lemon zest (from about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 lemon wedges for spritzing each serving (you can just use the one that was zested)
- 2 tsp minced fresh parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle each side of the chicken cutlet lightly with salt and let stand at room temperature 10 minutes.
In a shallow dish, whisk together flour and egg until smooth. In a separate shallow dish, toss together Panko bread crumbs, Romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and 3/4 tsp pepper.
Pat chicken dry with paper towels then working with 1 chicken cutlet at a time, dredge chicken in egg mixture coating both sides and allowing excess to run off, then immediately transfer to Romano mixture and coat both sides with mixture, while pressing to allow plenty of crumbs to adhere.
Transfer chicken to a plate and repeat process with remaining chicken cutlets. Pour olive oil into a 10-inch non-stick skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
Once oil is shimmering, add 2 coated chicken cutlets and fry without moving them until bottom is crispy and golden brown, about 2 minutes, then using metal tongs rotate to opposite side and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes longer.
Transfer chicken to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or spritzed with non-stick cooking spray, repeat process with remaining 2 pieces of chicken.
Toss together Mozzarella and Provolone cheese and sprinkle in a mound over chicken
Transfer to preheated oven to bake until internal temperature registers 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer, about 8 – 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp oregano and the parsley if using and serve warm with lemon wedges for spritzing over each serving.
Originally posted 2019-01-03 02:48:47.