17. Slow-Cooker Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced, such as Conecuh
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 pounds medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- ¾ pound fresh steamed crab claws
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: sliced green onion
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 7 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet. Set aside. Discard rendered fat in skillet.
- Carefully wipe skillet. Add oil; heat over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is a deep caramel color, approximately 30 minutes. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño; cook, stirring constantly, until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and has thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add sausage, 1 tablespoon thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and tomato.
- Cover, and cook on low 5 hours. Add shrimp, crab claws, Creole seasoning, and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme. Cover, and cook on high until shrimp are pink and firm, approximately 30 minutes, stirring twice. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice. Garnish with green onion, if desired.