6. Louisiana Seafood Gumbo with Okra
- 1 lbs. crawfish or shrimp
- 1/2 lbs. andouille sausage
- 8 oz. oysters
- 1/2 lbs. crab claws or small blue crabs
- 1 cup dark roux
- 4 cups seafood broth (fish, shrimp, crab, etc.)
- 1 green pepper diced
- 16 oz. 2 cups okra
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tbsp. Cajun seasoning to taste
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. gumbo file (optional)
- Green onions for garnish
- White rice for serving
- Heat the roux in a dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the diced green pepper and onion; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the andouille sausage, seafood broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the okra and crab claws and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp/crawfish, oysters and gumbo file and simmer for 5 minutes, or until seafood is cooked through.
- Garnish with green onion and serve over rice.
- Chicken broth can be substituted for the seafood broth for a slightly different flavor.