4. Instant Pot Louisiana Seafood, Chicken, and Sausage Gumbo
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain enriched white rice
- 2 6 oz skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 chicken andouille sausage link sliced into pieces
- 1 cup green peppers chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 cups frozen okra chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic I used jarred
- 1-2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base 2 tablespoons will have it on the saltier side
- 1 14.5 oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground basil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp Creole Seasoning I used Tony Chachere
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water and the rice to the Instant Pot. Close and seal the pot. Cook on Manual High-Pressure Cooking for 12 minutes.
- When complete, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- Turn the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to the pot. Then add the chicken sausage. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken sausage from the pot. Add the butter and remaining tbsp of olive oil to the pot. While it melts add the flour in 3 phases. Add the first phase and whisk. Add the second phase, and so on.
- Continue to whisk until the roux turns peanut butter brown. It should turn brown within a few minutes of whisking. Press Keep Warm/Cancel on the Instant Pot so the roux does not burn.
- Add the green peppers, celery, and onions. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the veggie are soft.
- Add all of the seasonings, garlic, and worcestershire sauce to the pot.
- Next add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, okra, and Better Than Bouillon. Stir. Add the water.
- Place the chicken breasts in the pot and return the chicken sausage to the pot.
- Close the pot and seal. Cook on Manual High-Pressure Cooking for 15 minutes. When complete, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes instead of quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred.
- Place the Instant Pot on the Saute function. Add the raw shrimp and shredded chicken to the pot.
- Cook for a few minutes until the shrimp turns bright pink.
- Serve the gumbo alongside the cooked white rice.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:01:44.