12. Seafood Gumbo
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chopped sweet onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup seafood stock
- 2 teaspoons liquid crab boil
- 2 teaspoons filé powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (8-ounce) container shucked oysters, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt ¼ cup butter. Add flour, and whisk vigorously until combined. Cook, stirring frequently, until a light brown roux forms, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and pepper, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir mixture into the roux.
- Stir tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and seafood stock into roux, and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in crab boil and filé powder.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp, and cook until pink, about 2 minutes per side; add oysters, and cook about 2 minutes. Add white wine, and simmer 2 minutes. Stir seafood mixture into vegetable mixture, and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.