8. Steak and Asparagus Eggs Benedict with Spicy Hollandaise
Makes 4 servings
- 2 sirloin or filet steaks, cooked to desired temp
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- bread of choice, split and toasted (I recommend Bagel Thins or English Muffins)
- olive oil, for saute
- salt/cracked black pepper, to taste
- chives, chopped for garish
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Reserve 8 asparagus stalks and toss the remaining asparagus in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, tossing once in between.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper and rubbed with fresh garlic.
- Cook in a heavy skillet with a swirl of olive oil over medium heat until desired temperature.
- Remove from heat and let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile take the remaining 8 asparagus stalks and steam until cooked but still with some crunch, about 10-15 minutes.
For poached eggs:
- Bring a pot of 4 cups of water and 2 tablespoons white vinegar to a boil over medium, then turn down to a simmer.
- Break eggs, one at a time into a bowl and slide into simmering water.
- Cook for 2 minutes, until whites are cooked but yolk is still runny.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
For Hollandaise sauce:
- Melt the butter slowly in a small pot. Try not to let it boil – you want the moisture in the butter to remain there and not steam away.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne into a bowl. Blend the egg yolk mixture at a medium speed with an immersion blender (or use a traditional bender) until it lightens in color, about 20-30 seconds.
- Once the yolks have lightened in color, turn the blender down to its lowest setting and drizzle in the melted butter slowly, while the blender is going until it is a smooth sauce.
- Place one lightly toasted piece of bread (I used Bagel Thins) face up on a plate.
- Top with sliced steak (4-5 pieces).
- Add poached egg then 2 steamed asparagus spears.
- Top with a couple spoonfuls of Hollandaise sauce and a garnish of chives.
- I served my roasted asparagus on the side with cheese grits.
- Serve with cheese grits and fruit.