10. Pan-Fried Tofu Steaks With Coriander Cream and Asparagus
- 1 small packet (organic, non-GMO) extra-firm tofu, cut in half lengthways and sideways to make 4 ‘steaks’
- 1 bunch coriander leaves and stems, washed and coarsley chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts (or pine nuts)
- 3 tsp crushed ginger
- 3 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 6 asparagus spears, chopped in half
- 1 small broccoli head, chopped into small ‘trees’
- 1 lemon
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut or sesame)
- The night before (or as early as possible), soak macadamias in a bowl of water in the fridge (you can skip this step if you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix).
- Add coriander, drained macadamia nuts, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp garlic, ½ cup water, juice from half the lemon, and 2 spring onions to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with cracked black pepper and sea salt.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat and add 2tsp garlic, 2tsp ginger, red chilli and tamari.
- Add tofu steaks to the centre of the pan, and broccoli and asparagus around the outside edges of the pan.
- Sear tofu for a few minutes on one side, whilst turning the greens regularly.
- Flip the tofu steaks and sear on the other side for a few minutes, whilst again turning the greens regularly.
- On plates, top tofu steaks with coriander cream and greens. Sprinkle with remaining spring onions, and serve with remaining lemon wedges and turmeric rice.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:01:49.