24. Vegan Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
For the sweet potatoes:
- 4-6 medium sweet potatoes, baked (alternatively, you can use taco shells of choice)
For the cilantro lime slaw:
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (can sub honey)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
For the cilantro lime crema:
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- ½ cup cilantro, packed
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp water (more if needed to blend)
- ¼ tsp garlic power
- ¼ tsp salt
For the taco filling (this makes a lot, feel free to cut in half)
- 2-15oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heaping ½ cup pecans (or walnuts)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup water
- sliced jalapeños, salsa, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork. Place on lined baking sheet and bake for about an hour or longer, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, place slaw ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place all the cream ingredients in a blender (I used my nutribullet) and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Place one can of chickpeas and half the pecans in a large food processor. Pulse for about 5-10 seconds or until finely chopped (not mushy, but well combined). It should look “meaty.” Dump into a bowl. Repeat with remaining chickpeas and nuts. Add spices and stir until combined.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat. Once hot, add chickpea mixture and water to moisten. Cook for a few minutes, or until heated through.
- Assemble slicing sweet potatoes length-wise and layering taco meat, slaw, crema, and toppings. Serve warm!