15. Roasted Plaintain & Black Bean Vegan Bowl
- 4 large plantains (ripe // yellow with brown spots), peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch rounds)
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil (sub maple syrup or water if avoiding oil)
- 1 pinch sea salt
RICE + BEANS
- 4 cups brown or white rice (or sub cauliflower rice* for grain-free), cooked*
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans (slightly drained)
- Sea salt to taste
- Ground cumin + chili powder (optional)
- 3 cups finely shredded green or purple cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- Guacamole (or ripe avocado)
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Habanero Hot Sauce
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 C) and arrange plantains on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Prepare brown or white rice according to package instructions. See my preferred methods in notes.
Prepare beans by warming homemade or store-bought beans on the stovetop in a small saucepan and adding salt as needed to taste. Optional: Season with ground cumin and chili powder to taste. Heat over medium heat. Then, once bubbling, reduce to a simmer to keep warm.
Toss plantains with oil (or maple syrup/water) and salt and toss to combine. Then bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and slightly caramelized. Set aside.
Prepare slaw by adding shredded cabbage and chopped green onion to a mixing bowl and tossing to combine. Prepare any other desired toppings at this time, such as sauce of choice, avocado or guacamole, or fresh cilantro.
To serve, layer rice, beans, plantains, vegetable slaw, and any other desired toppings or sauces. We went with habanero hot sauce, lime wedges, avocado, and cilantro.
Best when fresh, though leftovers keep stored separately in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
Originally posted 2018-12-19 09:10:22.