Smoked Trout and Olive Deviled Eggs — Instead of a sprinkling of paprika, he tops each half (colored bright pink, thanks to a beet brine) with smoked trout, olive relish and sharp pickled shallots. And though this recipe is a bit more complex than your grandma’s, the eggs can be made well ahead of time and garnished right before serving.
For the Pickled Shallots:
- 6 large shallots, peeled
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
For the Olive Relish:
For the Beet Brine:
For the Deviled Eggs:
- Make the pickled shallots: Slice the shallots into thin rings and place in a medium bowl. In a small pot, combine the remaining pickled shallot ingredients and bring to a boil until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the shallots and place a plate on top to submerge them; let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, covered with plastic wrap or in a sealed container.
- Make the olive relish: Combine all of the olive relish ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Visit Smoked Trout and Olive Deviled Eggs for full instructions