5. Chinese Restaurant Almond Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lard
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 48 almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together into a bowl. Cut in the lard until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add egg and almond extract. Mix well.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Set them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place an almond on top of each cookie and press down to flatten slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the edges of the cookies are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.