2. Christmas Spritz
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Food color
- Sugar, colored sugar or multi-colored candy sprinkles, if desired
- In large bowl, combine butter and shortening; beat well. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Add almond extract and egg; blend well.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix at low speed until well blended and dough forms. Knead or stir a few drops of food color into dough. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Fit cookie press with desired template. Fill press with dough. Press dough 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 400°F. for 5 to 8 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.
- Instead of decorating these cookies with the traditional colored sugar or sprinkles, dip them or drizzle them with melted dark and white chocolate.
- For a flavorful twist on a traditional favorite, add 1 to 2 teaspoons grated orange peel to the spritz dough.
Originally posted 2019-03-12 14:01:47.